Monday, October 14, 2013

What Are We Non-Farmers Supposed To Do?

With all this agricultural revolution talk, what are we non-farmers supposed to do?  With this push for more local farms we will need more farmers.  Where are these farmers coming from?  After each reading I feel an almost moral obligation to take up the role of small organic farmer, but it is not something I want to make my life.  Because we are learned individuals are we the ones who need to take the first step and fulfill this obligation regardless of our own interests?  Maybe there is a vast storage of farmers who are waiting to get an opportunity that will relieve us non-farmers.  I don't know.

But nevertheless there is a cognitive dissonance felt, at least for me personally, when I realize I don't want to be a farmer despite being told otherwise by writers like Wendell Berry.  As of now my justification is that I take part in a CSA.  I find this to be a necessary step for those who  don't see themselves going further than gardner.  I won't go into the perks of a CSA because we have laboriously discussed them in class.  But what else can be done to lessen this moral tension? What is it that we non-farmers ought to do? 


No comments:

Post a Comment