Friday, November 8, 2013

A Cosmopolocalism Of Food?

In attempt to blur the dichotomy between localism and cosmopolitanism we discussed a third alternative that combined the two: cosmopolocalism.  Essentially this is comprised of a literal groundedness and connection to a specific place, a ridding of us vs. them mentality, concern over urban and local culture, and lastly, concern of sustainability and global justice.  This suggestion is a median between the two extremes that may bring a moral and environmental balance between the differing mentalities.  I am curious if there is room for a type of agricultural cosmopolocalism in Thompsons agrarian vision or Berry's romanticized localism. 

It seems that we currently have a dichotomy of agriculture.  On one side, the industrial agriculturalist, and on the other, the organic small farmer.  This has led to similar complications that all dichotomy's eventually lead to.  Industrial Organic Agriculture has risen as perhaps an unintended mediator of the two, although it is not the solve all solution despite its few steps in the right direction. 

The tried and true localist presumes that the members of a place must eat whatever is native or grown in the local area.  There is no room for imported fruits or non-native species that we have become accustomed too.  Whereas the industrialist is the exact opposite and wants to provide all products that the eater may think of.  We know the problems with the industrialist process so I won't belabor that point.  And we know that the localized system may be able to solve some of these problems too.  But are the strict guidelines and restrictions of localism necessary?  Or can there be a cosmopolocalism of food that allows for a responsible acquiring of foreign products?

This thought is similar to a previous post that asked if eating a fruit from across the country was still ethical if say, transportation was improved so there were next to no environmental costs.  As much as I'd like to embrace localism full heartedly, I realize that I have become spoiled...and I assume the masses are as well.  I worry that this extreme alteration may not be welcomed.  Is there any kind of ethical medium that would allow for some foreign food products to be brought into a localized food system? 

1 comment: